The City of Pevely, Missouri is requesting applications for the position of City Administrator and/or Assistant City Administrator. Information containing the requirements for the position, the job description, and the City Administrator ordinance can be picked up or reviewed at Pevely City Hall; 401 Main Street, Pevely, MO 63070 or cityofpevely.org.
A completed application, resume, and three professional references; must be received in the office of the Pevely City Clerk no later than 4:00 PM on November 2, 2018. The City of Pevely is an EOE/ADA employer.
City Administrator Job Requirements:
- 3-5 Years’ Experience in Government
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration or a Master’s Degree in Business
- Ample Professional Experience in Local Government, Public Administration, or Private or Nonprofit Sectors of Government
- Experience with City Contractors, and will be able to properly and effectively use the City’s funds, materials, and facilities
- Must be able to provide managerial leadership to City Officials, and reviewing, hiring and terminating City employees
- Must be able to prepare and review Citywide and State budgets, review financial guidelines, salaries and taxes.
City Administrator Ordinance:
Article V. City Administrator
Section 115.140 Office Created.
There is hereby created and established the office of City Administrator for the City of Pevely, Missouri.
Section 115.150 Appointment and Tenure.
The Mayor shall appoint the City Administrator with the approval of the Board of Aldermen of the City of Pevely, Missouri. Such approval shall be by majority vote, and the person so appointed shall serve for an indefinite term.
Section 115.160 Qualifications.
The person appointed to the office of City Administrator shall be at least twenty-five (25) years of age and shall be a graduate of an accredited university or college with a degree in public administration or shall have equivalent qualifications through experience in financial or public administration related fields. The City Administrator is not required to be a resident of the City of Pevely, Missouri.
Section 115.170 Bond.
The City Administrator, before entering upon the duties of his/her office, shall file with the City a bond in the amount of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00); such bond shall be approved by the Board of Aldermen and such bond shall contain equivalent provisions as are necessary for the City Clerk. The cost of such bond shall be paid by the City of Pevely; provided, however, that should the City Administrator be covered by a blanket bond for all City officers, no additional bond shall be required.
Section 115.180 Compensation.
The City Administrator shall receive a salary as set by the Board of Aldermen, and increases in pay shall be at the discretion of the Board of Aldermen.
Section 115.190 Removal.
The City Administrator shall serve at the pleasure of the Board of Aldermen of the City of Pevely, Missouri, and may be dismissed at will in the same manner as other appointed municipal officers pursuant to Section 79.240, RSMo.
Section 115.200 Duties.
- The City Administrator shall have those duties required of him/her by the Board of Aldermen and shall specifically have the following duties:
- The City Administrator shall be the Chief Administrative Assistant to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen and shall coordinate and supervise the operation of all City departments, except the Police Department.
- Budget. The City Administrator shall be the Chief Budget Officer for the City and shall be responsible for the preparation of the City budget for all departments, the coordination of all budget requests by the City departments and the analysis of the proposed City budget for submission to the Board of Aldermen. He/she shall be present for all budget hearings and shall be responsible for all financial data which may be required, now or in the future, to be presented in the budget process as required by statute.
- Financial reporting. The City Administrator shall be responsible for submitting monthly reports of the financial condition of the City to the Mayor and Board of Aldermen and shall coordinate such financial reporting as may be required of the City by statute.
- Annual reporting. In addition to the financial reporting required under Subsection (A)(3) hereof, the City Administrator shall annually report the activity of each City department during the preceding year.
- Personnel administration. The City Administrator shall act as the Personnel Officer of the City and shall be the municipal officer to whom all personnel actions are referred in the first instance. The City Administrator shall have the power to investigate all complaints regarding the personnel of the City and shall report his/her findings and recommendations to the Board of Aldermen and the Mayor. The City Administrator shall also have the general supervision of all City employees, except the Police Department, and shall make recommendations to the Board of Aldermen and the Mayor with regard to hiring, salary, duties and dismissal of City employees.
- Board of Aldermen meetings. The City Administrator shall attend all meetings of the Board of Aldermen and shall be responsible for the preparation of the agenda therefor.
- Coordination. The City Administrator shall assist the Mayor and the Board of Aldermen in the formulation of City policy necessary to the health, safety and good government of the City of Pevely and shall coordinate the work of all City boards and committees.
- Public contracts. The City Administrator shall supervise the preparation of specifications for all public contracts of the City, the administration of such contracts, the bidding procedures for such contracts and the conformity of such contracts to the specifications.
- State and Federal aid programs. The City Administrator shall be the Chief Grant Officer of the City and shall coordinate, assist in the preparation of and actively seek out such State and Federal aid programs as may be desirable and beneficial to the City of Pevely, Missouri.
- Record keeping. The City Administrator shall be responsible for keeping full and accurate records of the actions taken by him/her in the course of his/her duties, which shall remain and be the property of the City of Pevely, Missouri, and be open to the inspection of the Mayor and Board of Aldermen at all times.
- Public information. The City Administrator shall be responsible for keeping the public informed of the ongoing operation and programs of the City of Pevely.
Section 115.210 Powers.
- The City Administrator shall have the power to prescribe such rules and regulations for the operation of City departments as he/she shall deem necessary and convenient; provided however, that such rules and regulations shall be consistent with the ordinances of the City of Pevely and shall not conflict with any existing rules and regulations established by the Board of Aldermen.
- The City Administrator shall have the power to coordinate the activities of all City departments, except the Police Department, and may assign work among the departments as he/she deems necessary, except where such assignment is in conflict with any ordinance.
- The City Administrator shall be the Director of Public Works.
- The City Administrator shall have the power to supersede the directives of any department supervisory employee, except the Chief of Police. The City Administrator shall have such other and further powers as are necessary to perform the duties of his/her office as provided for in this Chapter; provided, however, that he/she shall have no powers in conflict with the powers of the Mayor, Board of Aldermen or any other City official whose powers and duties are prescribed by ordinance or by statute.
Section 115.220 Interference by Members of the Board of Aldermen.
No member of the Board of Aldermen shall directly interfere with the duties of the City Administrator or any department under his/her supervision, unless such member shall have been authorized to take such action by the Board of Aldermen.